Here is another interview that we did a little while ago. It’s with Zach Cutler, the Founder of The Cutler Group- a PR agency that focuses on exclusively on getting tech startups mainstream media coverage. Before I dive into some of the lessons learned here, let me tell you that there was one thing that stood out like a sore thumb with Zach. An awesome sore thumb in this case. Zach started this business because he couldn’t find a job. It was finding a job, or moving in back home with is parents. I love that.
You’ll love some of the lessons in here, because all of them you can do without hiring a PR firm. Zach is really generous with this advice.
Oh, and I used the word “shoestrapping” rather than “bootstrapping” in this interview which is ridiculous.
Here is what you’ll learn.
- Zach Cutler will teach us what you should be doing from a PR perspective if you have only five hours a week and no budget
- Why and how to limit and determine the number of writers you target
- How to go about pitching a journalist, and why you don’t need to introduce yourself
- How to use a press release in conjunction with your pitch
- The two kinds of press releases and when to use which
- How long you should wait before following up
- Why you need to figure out a publication’s weak spot, and how you can benefit from it.